Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Crab Salad

Here it is- my first recipe! I made this last night (with some help). Its summery and light, and a modern adaptation of an old Betty Crocker recipe from the 1970s (you know, when salads came in jello mold form). I used crab meat flakes, the fake kind you can find in the refrigerated seafoods section of your grocery store, because I am cheap. If you are less cheap, you can use real lump crab, which I'm sure would be lovely. Also, feel free to do any substituting. The whole point of my recipes is to give you guidelines from which to allow your own creativity to flow. I hate when recipes treat you like an idiot who needs slavish rules to cook, or guilt you into buying tons of unnecessary ingredients. No fun! So feel free to switch out the fish for another fish you like better (I'm sure shrimp would be nice) or to leave it out entirely! Also, feel free to substitute whatever veggies you'd enjoy.

Crab Salad
- Package flake crab meat
- Enough lettuce
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 1 avocado
- Sugar snap peas
Chop the veggies pretty finely and mix together in a big bowl.

Dressing
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise (I used fat free. I am not a mayo fan as most people know, but in this context where its mixed with lots of other things I can handle it)
- 3/4 cup Chili Sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt to taste
Add all together and mix well

Toss the salad and the dressing et voila! Your crab salad is complete.
This would pair nicely with a crisp white wine, like a sauvignon blanc.


3 comments: