Thursday, June 25, 2009

Caliente!

Today, the first nice day in weeks, I decided to do some gardening. I got a little pepper mini-greenhouse a few months ago on a whim while returning some inferior basil at Loews. Amazingly, all of the seed cups sprouted and the plants survived transplanting to the outside world. Now they've gotten too big to share one pot so I split them up into 3 pots. I hope they actually survive the transplant, they're looking a little wilted since the move.
So in honor of these (hopefully) delicious peppers I'll eventually get to eat (again, hopefully), here is a recipe for a Mexican-ish dish I created.

- Peppers- any color or spiciness
- Onion
- Garlic
- Roasted corn (I bought corn that came pre-roasted from Trader Joe's, but you could also roast your own if you're feeling ambitious)
- Salsa- I like Chili Verde salsa for this, but use whatever you like
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Quinoa or Yellow Rice
- Salt/Pepper to taste

Prepare the quinoa or yellow rice accordingly. I have used both- the quinoa is healthier and the yellow rice has a nice spiced flavor already, so use whichever you like (or something else, like plain rice if you're boring).
Chop the veggies.
Sautee the onions and garlic in a little oil and spices of your choice. When the onions are translucent, add in the peppers and roasted corn and cook. When its all cooked, pour in a generous amount of the salsa. Mix together over the heat.
Serve over the rice/quinoa, or all mixed together if you prefer.
Grate cheese over.

1 comment:

  1. You know how I love quinoa!!! I'll def have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete